Turmeric

Zaia

Zaia is a musician, homesteader, permaculturist, holistic health and wellness coach and sustainability advocate. She and husband Tom run permaculture designed farm "Maungaraeeda" on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia and the not for profit organisation the Permaculture Research Institute Sunshine Coast Inc. and teach permaculture and self reliance. Zaia loves cooking and always comes up with new and different recipes to prepare the food she grows. She is a percussionist and is involved in various musical projects, including community music projects. She writes about life on the farm and tries to post regular photos.

You may also like...

8 Responses

1. Kirsten Small says:

I had an abundance of both ginger and turmeric at the same time, and no dehydrator. I peeled equal amounts of both and put them in the food processor, with a dollop of coconut oil and turned them into a think paste. I use it with rice or curry. I put some in the pumpkin pie a few days ago too and that was really yummy. I think it would also be good with honey and lemon in hot water as a cold remedy.

2. Maria Page says:

Thank you for mentioning the capsule filler. I make my own clove capsules, used as part of an anti-parasitic cleanse. I was doing them individually… yes with difficulty and time-consuming! I have now bought a capsule filler and will remember to make capsules with turmeric (hopefully next season). Thanks for that great idea!

3. Ann Capell says:

How long do you leave the turmeric in the dehydrator for? 40ºC. Thanks

• Zaia says:

At least 24 hours. Depending on atmospheric conditions and your dehydrator, please continue to check hardness after 24 hours. To be able to grind them up well enough, they will need to be very dry. Thank you!

4. Zaia says:

Reblogged this on Food, Health and Me.

5. Selle says:

Hello. I read in another article that you need to boil and peel the turmeric before putting in dehydrator, do you think this is necessary?

• Zaia says:

We have never done that and it has worked fine for us. I am not aware of any health benefits if you peel and boil them, or of any negative effects from not peeling or boiling. Did the other article say what the reason was for peeling and boiling?

• Selle says:

No. They did not mention anything. I have done your method, I am down on grinding them today. I will be posting the process on our website too. Thank you. 🙂