We have been cleaning up the nursery over the past couple of weeks, bit by bit when we can. A number of pots had dead plants in them, so I emptied them out, broke up any clumps and mixed it all up. Earthworms were still in there, so the soil was still healthy! I then added some sand and fine gravel and mixed it all together. Ready for the next few weeks of seed planting!
We also needed to plant out some bean seedlings, but they had to be against a trellice. All trellices were taken, but we could fit some together with some cherry tomatoes and another trellice had a lot of chinese greens growing at the bottom, so they were pulled up. Some went to the kitchen for lunch, the rest was transplanted.
On my way through the garden later today I came across our current garden resident: mister Python. He is a beautiful snake, very tame, Tom even patted him a few days ago! Lovely he is there, he will keep the rats and mice in the garden down. He must be a bit hot, he barely moved when I went past him, it was another very hot and humid day here!
I better go, I still need to gather some forage for the goats and feed them, before I am going to have a cold shower!
©2016 Zaia; diyfoodandhealth.com, incorporating Permaculture Research Institute Sunshine Coast, simplicity, permaculture, self reliance, food, health and homesteading, Cooking chinese greens, making potting mix and a garden visitor at Maungaraeedaa
Categories: Zaia's Blog